Note: Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.
Fox (William) School
2300 Hanover Avenue
(Hanover Avenue between Addison & Stafford Streets)
Named for William Fayette Fox, Superintendent of Richmond Public Schools 1889-1909, this school opened in September 1911, with kindergarten-grade 7. The 1914-15 annual report includes a picture and floor plan of Fox by School Architect Charles M. Robinson; the architecture is said to be similar to his buildings at James Madison University. He wrote that the 1922 eight-room addition "greatly improved the appearance of this building, and it is now one of the sharpest and best buildings in the system. It is particularly imposing-"
Within a month after Fox School opened, every seat was occupied. The Richmond Normal School was housed here from 1911-15, until Fox became crowded. In 1937 -38, a sight-saving class was opened at Fox. In 1968, a half-block of additional land was acquired for playground purposes. Fox was one of eight elementary school renovation projects in 1980. The Fan District Association funded a landscaping project in 1988 to improve school and community usability of the playground area.
Under Plan III, Fox was paired with West End. Fox is a model elementary school with the theme, "creative and innovative approaches to teaching."
Charles M. Robinson
1922 Charles M. Robinson
1980 Renovation Wilson & Kennedy
1980 Renovation 408,682
1911-1915 Joseph H. Saunders
1915-1918 Dana H. Rucker
1918-1919 Clyde Busby
1919-1945 Dana H. Ruc