Note: Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.
Franklin Military School
In 1980, Franklin became the country's first military high school in a public school system and assumed the name of the school building in which it was initially housed.
Franklin's alternative program serves students whose needs are not being met by traditional programs; all students receive one hour per day of Junior ROTC in addition to extensive remediation in regular courses.
Franklin Military School has been housed at several different locations:
1980-1984 "Franklin School (Swansboro) - 3160 Midlothian Pike
1984-1986 West End Building - 2100 Idlewood Avenue
1986-1989 CEMS Building (Chandler) - 201 East Brookland Park Boulevard
1989 Armstrong High School - 1611 North 31st Street
1991-1992 - 125
1980-1987 William Frank Cumbo, Jr.
1987-1991 Alexander Lipscomb Mosby
1991-1992 Frank William Butts
1992 Joseph Cooper