Note: Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.
Gary (Virgie E.)/Gary - Jackson School
Originally known as John Smith School, this program for "socially maladjusted" pupils was renamed (September 1954) for Virgie E. Gary, its dedicated teacher from 1916-43.
In 1928, Assistant Superintendent Binford wrote that Miss Gary had "touched the lives of scores of unruly boys and assisted materially in developing in them character traits which have enabled them to become honest, dependable youths. She is more than a teacher, unless that word be accepted in its widest and best sense. She is the friend, guide, and counselor other boys."
By 1961, the number of classes had increased from one to four. While housed at Stonewall Jackson, the school was sometimes referred to as Gary-Jackson; it was discontinued in January 1968.
1954-1962 - Virginia Mechanics Institute - 1000 East Marshall Street
1962-1968 - Stonewall Jackson School - 1520 West Main Street
1966-1967 - 69
1954-1966 Mary Ellen Huband
1966-1968 Aubrey Scott Roberson
Stonewall Jackson School
John Smith School