Note: Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.
Ginter Park School
3817 Chamberlayne Avenue
(Chamberlayne Avenue at North Avenue)
Ginter Park School is named for the community in which it is located, in turn named for Major Lewis Ginter, a prominent citizen and tobacco merchant who developed the area.
This section of the city was acquired by annexation from Henrico County in 1914. At that time, the 203 children of the neighborhood and their eight teachers were housed in rented quarters at the Lewis Ginter Community House at the corner of Hawthorne & Walton Avenues. Consequently, the need for a city school in Ginter Park was urgent and was met so promptly that the eighteen-room school was occupied in the session of 1916-17. The design included the best "open air school," purely a Richmond development, that afforded the maximum amount of comfort in the minimum amount of space. The 1914-15 annual report includes picture and floor plan of Ginter Park by School Architect Charles M. Robinson.
In 1930, when the original auditorium was converted into eight classrooms, another auditorium was built with cafeteria space beneath. Crowded conditions eventually led to the construction of classrooms in the basement and to the temporary use of Brook Hill for Junior Primary classes (1948).
Under Plan III, Ginter Park was paired with Stuart. Since 1973, Mary Scott has been an annex of Ginter Park, under the same administration. In 1980, Ginter Park/Mary Scott was one of eight elementary school renovation projects. The P-TA carried out a "Reach for the Stars" redecorating project in 1988.
Ginter Park operates as a model elementary school with an "international studies" theme.
1914-1915 - 206
1952-1953 - 1,098
1991-1992 - 779
Charles M. Robinson
1930 - Charles M. Robinson
1980 Renovation - Macllroy & Parris
1930 - $109 ,000
1980 Renovation - $701,200 (includes Mary Scott)
1914-1956 Alvin Louis Thoms
1956-1977 John Roderick Clarke
1977-1990 Arthur Edward Ooghe, Jr.
1990- Frances McClenney (Acting 1990-91)
Brook Hill School
Mary Scott School