Note: Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.
Highland Park School
2928 Second Avenue (Corner of Brookland Park Boulevard & Second Avenue)
Highland Park School was named for the Henrico community in which it was located. At the time of annexation in 1914, Highland Park had a small high school department in addition to a large elementary enrollment. The high school pupils were transferred to John Marshall at the close of the 1914-15 session. The building dates from 1909 and was expanded by bits and pieces over a 21-year period; it is said to have been totally designed by the same architect. Cost figures are unknown for the 1909 and 1914 buildings. The 1914-15 annual report includes picture and floor plan of Highland Park by School Architect Charles M. Robinson. As the community grew, more classrooms had to be provided; an eight-room annex was added in 1921, and a new wing in 1930. Highland Park absorbed pupils from Helen Dickinson when that school was converted to a Negro school (Fairmount) in 1958. In 1970, the entire building of Trinity Baptist Church was leased to relieve overcrowded conditions. The 1909 building was heavily damaged in early 1977 by a fire determined to be arson. Under Plan III, Highland Park was paired with Munford. In January 1978, Overby-Sheppard Elementary School opened as a replacement for Highland Park which was then declared surplus to the City, February 1, 1978. The property is currently being used as a high-rise for the elderly.
1914-1915 509 (elementary) + 27 (high school)
Charles M. Robinson
1914-1915 G. C. Moseley
1915-1917 Frank Erskine Graves
1917-1919 J. D. Harris
1919-1943 Frank Erskine Graves
1943-1944 Helen Cabell Phillips
1944-1957 Frank Erskine Graves
1957-1962 Winston Carter Bleight
1962-1969 Catlin Emmett Tyler
1969-1970 Vernon Pickett Paulett, Jr.
1970-1971 Thomas Raymond Miller
1971-1978 Herbert Leroy Crockett