Note: Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.
Huguenot High School for Life Sciences
7945 Forest Hill Avenue
Huguenot High School was opened by Chesterfield County in 1960; Richmond acquired it by the 1970 annexation. In 1969, Chesterfield was authorized to proceed with renovations to the science department for approximately $85,050; the architect was Jones & Strange-Boston. Thompson Middle School is located on the site adjacent to Huguenot.
The school is said to have been named for the Huguenots (French Protestants who were driven into exile following the loss of religious freedom which accompanied Louis XIV's 1685 revocation of the Edict of Nantes). At that time, several hundred Huguenots fled to Virginia and settled about twenty miles above the falls of the James River where they became absorbed into the Virginia way of life.
An air conditioning project was carried out in 1972. In 1991, renovations provided facilities for the handicapped; science classroom alterations are under way in 1992.
Under "Plan G" (1979), Jefferson-Huguenot-Wythe comprised one of three high school complexes with a coordinating principal (Robert Marchant)."Plan G" was dismantled in 1986, with the return to a system of comprehensive high schools. As one of the high school magnet programs implemented in 1991, Huguenot adopted a "life sciences" theme.
1991 DePasquale, Gentilhomme Group
1992 Worley Associates
1970-1971 Arthur S. Holland
1971-1976 Thomas Raymond Miller
1976-1986 Samuel Dewey Barham III
1986-1990 Robert Edward Marchant
1990 Carlton C. Stevens