• Note: Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.

(Arts &) Humanities Center

  • A federally funded humanities program (P AVE) began in 1970 to assist with high school integration. The Humanities Center (Richmond Intercultural Center for the Humanities) was initially supported by a Title III grant from the Elementary & Secondary Education Act (ESEA); the staff and facilities were also available to surrounding counties and local parochial schools. Since 1975, the offerings have been limited to Richmond students.

    As an extension of regular school programs, the Center combines the talents of resident and visiting performers and artists to provide culturally enriching experiences in art, music, and drama.

    The Humanities Center/program has operated from a number of different locations. (A donor's generosity provided funds for the ten-year lease of the Ellen Glasgow House from the Virginia Association for the Preservation of the Antiquities.)

    1970-1971 Wythe Building - 312 North Ninth Street
    1971-1972 Blanton House - 700 Blanton Avenue
    1972-1982 Ellen Glasgow House - One West Main Street
    1982-1986 Bacon Building - 815 North 35th Street
    1986-1990 Walker Building - 1000 North Lombardy Street
    1990­ George Wythe High School 4314 Crutchfield Street

    Administrators:
    1972-1975 Henrietta S. Kinman
    1975-1976 Helen Cynthia Rose
    1976­ Samuel Grant Banks