Note: Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.
Jackson (Stonewall) School / Learning Disabilities Center
1520 West Main Street (Lombardy & Main Streets)
This school was originally known as West End. It was renamed in September 1909, for the noted Confederate leader, General Thomas J. (Stonewall) Jackson. Mrs. Jackson is said to have visited the school, presumably about this time.
During the period 1915-19, the building was known as Richmond Normal School for the program housed there. At that time, Stonewall Jackson had kindergarten-grade 5. In 1924-25, the old building and lot adjoining the school were purchased and the building torn down, "adding greatly to the appearance of the school." An auditorium was subsequently added on the site of the kindergarten, fronting on Lombardy Street, adjacent to the main building.
Stonewall Jackson was discontinued as an elementary school in August 1962. The building then housed Virgie Gary School (Gary-Jackson) until January 1968. Special education classes were organized at Stonewall Jackson in September 1968 and continued until 1975, at which time the building was closed because the coalfired furnaces did not meet the provisions of the Clean Air Act of 1970. The students were relocated to Grace Arents and selected schools in each area.
Stonewall Jackson was declared surplus to the City, September 1, 1976; it was subsequently sold and privately rehabilitated for commercial use. The old bell from this school is displayed on the 17th floor of City Hall with the accompanying inscription:
From Stonewall Jackson School
Lombardy & Main Streets
September 15, 1887 to June 13, 1975
1909-1915 Dana H. Rucker
1915-1918 Joseph H. Saunders
1918-1919 Algar Woolfolk
1919-1941 Herbert F. Cox
1941-1953 George Warren Morris
1953-1959 Durwood Earl Denton (Acting 1953-54)
1959-1962 Catlin Emmett Tyler
1962-1968 (Virgie Gary School)
1968-1969 Aubrey Scott Roberson
1969-1973 Barbara P. Guyer
1973-1975 Patrick Leo Gendron (Acting 1973-74)
West End School (old)