Note: Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.
1903 East Marshall Street (19th & Marshall Streets)
Jefferson School, grades 1-7, served residents in the Shockoe Valley area south to the James River. Since a number of Jewish people lived in this area, the principal was humorously referred to as "the Rabbi."
The school was closed June 1929, and its pupils were transferred to Bellevue at 24th & Grace Streets. The building was subsequently used by Goodwill Industries but has since been demolished.
June 1929 310 (final)
1909-1913 A. H. Fitzgerald
1913-1916 W. C. Blakey
1916-1918 Joseph H. Brent
1918-1920 W. Daniel Ellis
1920-1929 J. D. Harris