Note: Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.
19th & Marshall Streets
Marshall School was named for the street on which it was located; it opened in 1887, as a replacement for Bethel School (near 20th & Main Streets). Additional land was purchased for playground space in 1901-02. This school was renamed Jefferson School in 1909, to avoid confusion with the new John Marshall High School.
1887-1890 Julian P. Thomas
1890-1905 Albert H. Hill (Superintendent 1919-33)
1905-1907 Jesse H. Binford (Superintendent 1933-46)
1907-1909 A. H. Fitzgerald