Note: Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.
Marshall (John) High School for the Business Enterprise Systems
This school was built on property adjacent to Pine Camp. It opened in September 1960, with grades 9-12; the building was dedicated on December 4. The new John Marshall replaced the old high school (at Eighth and Marshall Streets) and retained the name. In 1961, at the request of the principal and the commandant, the drill field at the rear of the building was named "Alumni Field."
This was the first high school to be organized on the North Side since 1914, when the small annexed high schools in Highland Park, Barton Heights, and Ginter Park were closed and their pupils transferred to the first John Marshall.
In 1969-70, the library and auditorium were air-conditioned. Alterations and additions were made to the building in 1981.
Under "Plan G" (1979), Marshall-Walker comprised one of three high school complexes with a coordinating principal (Iris Metts). "Plan G" was dismantled in 1986, with the return to a system of comprehensive high schools. As one of the high school magnet programs initiated in 1991, John Marshall adopted a "business enterprise systems" theme.
June 1961 1,212
Architect: Baskervill Son
1981 Jones & Strange-Boston
1960-1966 Fred Bruner Dixon
1966-1970 John Benedict Madden
1970-1972 Percy M. Pentecost
1972-1976 David Owen Williams
1976-1980 Roy Alexander West
1980-1988 Roger Lawrence LaCourse
1988-1991 Herman Leonard Carter, Jr.
1991 Beverly Whitaker-Braxton
John Marshall High School (old)