Note: Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.
Maury (Matthew F.) School
1411 Bainbridge Street (Bainbridge Street between 14th & 15th Streets)
This two-story school was built in four parts; the 1888 three-story structure and the 1912 auditorium addition were remodeled and incorporated into a larger facility which was occupied October 7, 1922. The annual report of 1922-23 includes a picture of Maury School and School Architect Charles M. Robinson's words that "the grand staircase at grade level with side entrance upon the terrace has resulted in a very interesting plan and a pleasing appearance." Upon the completion of Maury's additional classrooms in 1952, Powhatan was merged with Maury.
Maury School was supervised by the principals of Powhatan School until 1935. For many years during Miss Bailey's principalship, Maury hosted an annual "June Breakfast" for members of the school administration and other guests.From 1970-74, Maury operated as an annex to Bainbridge Middle School, reverting to a K-5 school in 1974 until it was closed in 1979.
Maury (exclusive of the gymnasium) was declared surplus to the City, June 30, 1980, and is currently being used by the Rubicon program. The gymnasium was declared surplus to the City, May 20,1987, and houses the Police Athletic League.
1975-1979 325 (final)
1922 Charles M. Robinson
1952 Carneal & Johnston
1922 $ 92,491
1919-1921 Sadie B. Armstrong (Supervisor)
1921-1935 Principals of Powhatan
1935-1963 Etta Rose Bailey
1963-1970 Elizabeth Morrison Wall
1970-1974 (Annex to Bainbridge Middle)
1974-1979 Robert J. Johnson
Bainbridge (Elementary) School