Note: Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.
A school for orthopedically handicapped children was opened (1941) in the Mayo Memorial Building of the Episcopal Diocese at 110 West Franklin Street. In September 1956, while continuing to be called the Mayo School, it was moved to an abandoned bank building at 201 West Brookland Park Boulevard. As the enrollment grew, these quarters also became inadequate.
In September 1959, under an agreement between the School Board and the Occupational Therapy Curative Workshop, the program "for the care and treatment of cerebral palsied children" operated at Brook Hill, Chamberlayne & Azalea Avenues.
Since 1962, the educational program for orthopedically handicapped children has been located at the Richmond Cerebral Palsy Center.
1941-1946 Miriam Dietrich
1946-1959 Ruby Lillaston Bristow
Brook Hill School
Richmond Cerebral Palsy Center