Note: Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.
2110 Moore Street
Named for the community in which it was located, this school was acquired by annexation from Henrico County in 1906. The City paid $1,000 for the building.
Newtown School was supervised by the principal of the colored high school at Twelfth & Leigh Streets and later by the principal of Monroe School.
During the 1924-25 session, the building was condemned; Newtown pupils were transferred to Moore (Carver) School.
June 1924 112