Note: Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.
Norrell (Albert V.) Annex School
201 West Graham Road
Formerly known as Barton Heights and later as George Thorpe, this school was renamed in September 1950, to honor a highly respected citizen and former teacher at Navy Hill and Booker T. Washington schools. Albert V. Norrell is listed as an 1872-73 graduate of Richmond Colored Normal School; in 1883-84, he was one of three colored principals who replaced white principals under the "Readjuster" School Board, serving as principal at Navy Hill.
In 1953, additional classrooms and a cafeteria were provided at this school. The 1906 building at 200 Wickham Street was destroyed by fire in 1977; when it was torn down, the 1953 addition (facing Graham Road) became the front of the school.
Since 1964, this building has operated as an annex to the new Norrell School on Fendall Avenue, under the same administration.
In 1971-72 and 1972-73, Norrell Annex housed the sixth grade of Chandler Middle School; Northside Middle School was located here in 1973-74, until the new Henderson Middle School opened at mid-term.
Sept. 1964 861
1950-1951 454 (Pupils from Baker)
1953 Merrill C. Lee
1950-1958 Ethel Thompson Overby
1958-1964 Herbert Harrison Allen
Albert V. Norrell School
George Thorpe School