Note: Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.
Oak Grove School
2200 Ingram Avenue (Ingram Avenue at 22nd Street)
The growing community required more classrooms which were finally occupied in September 1949, having been delayed by war and the Depression. The construction of Hillside Court, a federal housing project, led to more overcrowding which was alleviated by a six-room annex built in 1957. (Pupils were promoted from the annex to higher grades at Oak Grove and Bellemeade.) In 1986, alterations and additions were made to Oak Grove.
Under Plan III, Oak Grove was paired with Bellemeade. Since 1976, Bellemeade has operated as part of Oak Grove School, under the same administration.
1911 Charles M. Robinson
1949 Merrill C. Lee
1986 Ballou, Justice & Upton
1914-1915 M. V. Duval
1915-1916 C. B. Givens
1916-1921 Katherine K. Scott
1921-1922 George W. Morris
1922-1951 Katherine K. Scott
1951-1957 Jack Marye Davis
1957-1964 Elmira Coalter Maurice
1964-1976 Richard Alexandria Weakley (Acting 1964-65)
1976-1987 Ronald Eugene Herman
1987-1991 Raymond Ashby Tarkington
1991 Edna Rodwell
Oak Grove Annex
Oak Grove-Bellemeade School