Note: Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.
Oak Grove Annex
1606 East 18th Street (Corner Harwood & 18th Streets)
This six-room building derived its name from the school it served as an annex. During the planning stages, it was referred to as "Hillside Court Primary School."
Oak Grove Annex was built in 1957, to relieve the crowded conditions in -Oak Grove School and to provide facilities for the five- and six-year- old children in the nearby housing project. Pupils advanced from this school to a higher grade at Oak Grove or Bellemeade, depending on whether they lived north or south of Harwood Street.
The principal of Oak Grove School supervised the annex.
Oak Grove Annex was closed in June 1988, and declared surplus to the City, September 6, 1988; it is currently leased to R-CAP.
Oak Grove School