• Note: Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.

Oak Grove - Bellemeade School

  • 2409 Webber Avenue (Webber Avenue, one block from Jefferson Davis Highway/Petersburg Pike)

    Bellemeade was originally (1918) a two-story brick building, adjacent to which the county had built a one-story building including an auditorium (1936). In 1954, the increased enrollment necessitated the construction of additional classrooms and a cafeteria. (The 1918 building was demolished in 1974.) An alteration project was carried out in 1986.

    Under Plan III, Bellemeade was paired with Oak Grove. Since the 1976-77 session, Bellemeade has been under the Oak Grove administration.

    Enrollment:
    June 1942 252
    1955-1956 607
    1975-1976 284

    Architect:
    1954 Merrill C. Lee
    1986 Ballou   Justice

    Cost:
    1954 $318,370
     1986 154,709

    Principals:
    1942 Oscar Willard Fary, Jr.
    1942-1946 J. T. Walker
    1946-1953 Oscar Willard Fary, Jr.
    1953-1969 Lena Smethie Blanton (Acting 1953-54)
    1969-1970 Edward Chester Beauvais
    1970-1976 Ellen Frye Curry

    See:
    Oak Grove School