Note: Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.
Open High School
This "school without walls" was developed in 1972, in response to requests from parents of children attending developmental unit schools. Open High was the second school of its type in Virginia and began with 80 students. The alternative program is oriented around the life and problems of the city.
Open High emphasizes independent study and provides students the opportunity to engage in college preparatory course work through various community resources. Students are taught by regular faculty members as well as by community persons with varied skills and interests. Most classes meet in community facilities, businesses/industries, cultural institutions, and municipal agencies.
Open High has been housed at several locations:
1973-1979 Rented Quarters - 203-A East Franklin Street
1979-1986 Bowser Building - 00 East Clay Street
1986-1989 Walker Building - 1000 North Lombardy Street
1989 Grace Arents Building - 600 South Pine Street
1972-1973 Howard Stephen Fisher and Joseph Stewart Hamilton
1973-1976 Alvoston L. Taylor, Jr.
1976-1978 Iris Thomas Metts
1978 Brenda Arrington Drew