Note: Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.
1211 South Allen Avenue
The Oral School for deaf students was originally housed at Maymont School (1971-74).
In 1974, the program for hearing-impaired students relocated to Fisher School where it was subsequently supervised by Mary Hawk (1979-84). For several years, Binford housed the middle school classes for deaf students.
Classes for hearing-impaired students are currently offered at Fisher, Henderson, and John Marshall.
1971-1973 Edith McLennan Usher
1973-1974 Anita Largent