Note: Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.
700 Blanton Avenue (Corner of Blanton Avenue & Grant Street)
In February 1957, Park School opened as a special education facility for mentally handicapped pupils of junior high school age; it had five teachers. From 1965-68, the school carried the designation of Park Junior High.
In 1968, the program in this school was changed to trades training for students fifteen years of age and older; the younger students were transferred to the Church Hill Opportunity Center.
1957-1958 Malcolm Pierce Alley
1958-1963 Myron Morgan Yagel
1963-1968 Myron Morgan Yagel
Blanton (House) Building