Note: Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.
Park Program for Pregnant Girls
In addition to homebound instruction, a program for pregnant girls was offered at Sidney School in 1971, with the support of Family & Children's Service of Richmond and the Richmond Area Community Council.
In 1972, this secondary education program relocated to Park School and became known by that name, retaining it even after subsequent moves to other locations. In the same year, pregnant girls were given the third option of remaining in their home school to complete their high school education.
Child care was added in 1980. Before it was incorporated into the Adult Career Development Center in 1987, the Park program operated from several different locations.
1972-74 Park (Blanton) Building - 700 Blanton Avenue
1974-75 Brook Hill Building - 4929 Chamberlayne Avenue
1975-79 Carver Building - 1113 West Moore Street
1979-87 Katherine L. Johnson Building - 100 West Baker Street
1973-1976 Helen E. Pecht
1976-1986 Jean Braxton Stephens