Note: Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.
11th & Bainbridge Streets
Powhatan School is presumed to have been named for the father of Pocahontas, Chief Powhatan, who had a village in the vicinity of the falls of the James River.
This twelve-room building, erected in 1907, was acquired by the annexation of Manchester in 1910; prior to that time it served as Manchester's elementary school and high school. The 127 high school pupils were presumably transferred to John Marshall, and the elementary program became known as Powhatan. The school was used until condemned and vacated in 1951; the pupils were then transferred to the nearby Maury School at 14th & Bainbridge Streets.
For a number of years, the principals of this school also had supervision of Maury School; on the records, Powhatan was designated as Powhatan No.1 and Maury as Powhatan No.2.
Powhatan was apparently used for storage after it was discontinued as a school and was declared surplus to the City (August 24, 1960) when it was no longer needed as a warehouse facility.
1910-1911 509 (Kindergarten & grades 5-7)
Jan. 1951 150
1911-1912 Asst. Superintendent K. J. Hoke
1912-1916 Asst. Superintendent E. E. Smith
1916-1919 Sadie B. Armstrong (Supervisor)
1919-1925 Clyde Busby
1925-1926 Leslie Eley Bush
1926-1951 Jack Marye Davis