• Note: Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.

Powhatan No. 2

  • 1411 Bainbridge Street (Bainbridge Street between 14th & 15th Streets)

    Formerly known as Bainbridge Elementary, this twelve-room school began to appear on the record in September 1915 as Powhatan No.2, to avoid confusion with the newly organized Bainbridge Junior High School which had opened in the adjacent block.

    The school was renamed Matthew F. Maury School in 1919.

    Enrollment:
    1918-1919 626

    Principals:
    1915-1917 Assistant Superintendent and others; no assigned principal
    1917-1919 Sadie B. Armstrong (Supervisor)

    See:
    Bainbridge (Elementary) School
    Maury School