Note: Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.
Providence Park School
421 East Ladies Mile Road (Ladies Mile Road near Richmond-Henrico Turnpike)
Providence Park School was named for the community in which it was located. This two-room building was acquired from Henrico County by annexation in 1914; a third classroom was added later.
In 1916, it was reported that the boys in manual arts made a very dilapidated shed room into an excellent workshop by laying the floor and building work benches and tool cabinets. Landscaping of the playground was completed in May 1936, under a work project of the National Youth Administration (NYA).
Providence Park was discontinued in June 1953, replaced by the new Mary Scott School in Washington Park, The School Board provided transportation for the former Providence Park pupils since the school in their community had been closed.
Providence Park School was declared surplus to the City, October 26, 1953. The building was then razed and the lot converted into a City playground.
June 1953 66 (final)
1915-1944 Mary Magdalene Scott
1944-1951 Antoinette Bowler Davis
1951-1953 Nellie L. Braxton
Mary Scott School