Note: Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.
Scott (Mary M.) School
4011 Moss Side Avenue (Moss side Avenue at Akron Street)
This school was named for Mary Magdalene Scott, a highly regarded teacher at Providence Park School. It opened September 1953, replacing Washington Park and Providence Park schools.
Mary Scott operated as an annex to Ginter Park in 1970-71; it provided temporary housing for the Northside Middle School from 1971-73. Since 1973, Mary Scott has been an annex of Ginter Park, under the same administration.
1953-1954 210 (Junior Primary-grade 6)
Baskervill & Son
1953-1957 Kenneth E. Whitlock, Jr. (Acting 1953-54)
1957-1958 Osborne Allen Payne
1958-1961 George Alfred Ware
1961-1967 Sylvester C. Booker
1967-1969 Barbara Radcliffe Grey
1969-1970 Earl Biddle Nall
Ginter Park School
Providence Park School
Washington Park School