Note: Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.
Sidney School (colored)
1626 Blair Street (Corner of Blair & Sumpter Streets)
Sidney was called a "shack" by Superintendent Chandler; two rooms were. condemned in 1920. It was in such poor condition that in January 1922, a new "very neat" four-room, frame school was occupied at the above address.
This school was supervised by the principal of Sidney (white) which was later replaced by John B. Cary, and then by the principals of Randolph, West End, and Maymont. From 1957-61, it was an annex of Maymont School, thereafter being used for special education until 1971.
In 1970-71, Sidney housed classes for pregnant girls (a forerunner of the Park program). In January 1972, the building was "on loan" to the Welfare Department.
Sidney School was declared surplus to the City, October 18, 1973. It has since been tom down.
1922 $7,674.56 (Inheritance Tax money)
1906-1913 (Head Teachers)
1913-1944 Clarence H. Dunaway
1944-1964 Charles Julius E. Burrell
1964-1971 Frances Gray Gordon