Note: Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.
Sidney School (white)
Corner of Cary Street & Sycamore Street/Shields Avenue
Sidney School was named for the Henrico community which was annexed in 1906.
Henrico County had housed both elementary and high school grades in this eleven-room building; upon annexation, the high school pupils were transferred to Richmond High School at 805 East Marshall Street.
In 1913, Sidney School was abandoned when the new John B. Cary School opened on Idlewood Avenue.
June 1913 365 (final)
1906-1913 Clarence H. Dunaway - (Also principal prior to annexation)
John B. Cary School (old)