Note: Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.
Springfield (Temperance) Hall School
Corner of 26th & "M" Streets
In the early years, before the public school system was sufficiently established to provide its own buildings, the practice was to rent neighborhood facilities as needed. Springfield Hall (sometimes referred to as Springfield Temperance Hall) was one such location.
From 1869-74, it was used for colored classes that were considered a part of Valley School; beginning with the 1874-75 school year, it was used for white classes that were under the Bellevue administration.
Although Springfield School (26th & Leigh Streets) was occupied in 1880, the need soon arose for more accommodations in that area. In his 1883-84 report, the Supervisor of School Property recommended that a room be rented in Springfield Temperance Hall and set up for two halfday "schools" for small children.
The monthly rental for Springfield Hall was $15.