Note: Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.
3160 Midlothian Turnpike (Midlothian Turnpike between Blake Lane & 32nd Street)
The original name of this school was Franklin; it was discontinued in June 1979.
In 1980, a secondary military school opened in this building and adopted the Franklin name, retaining it even after being relocated. Thus, when it became necessary to reopen an elementary school at old Franklin in 1986,community input was sought for a new name to avoid the confusion of having two programs identified as Franklin. From 41 suggestions, the School Board selected Swansboro to perpetuate the area's designation at the time of annexation from Manchester in 1914.
Alterations/renovations were made to the library and office area in 1987. A City-financed and operated natatorium was constructed here in 1989-90. It was officially conveyed to Recreation & Parks at a dedication ceremony on May 31, 1990.
Swansboro operates as a model elementary school with a "creative writing" theme.
1987 Joseph V. Ciucci, Jr.
1989 Worley & Associates
1987 $ 831,496
1986-1989 Ronald Lorenzo Carey
1989 Marian B. Rowlett