• Note: Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.

Thirteen Acres School/Building

  • 3801 Hermitage Road (Northeast Corner of Laburnum Avenue & Hermitage Road)

    The school draws its name from the approximately thirteen-acre lot on which it is located. As early as 1955, the School Board considered but abandoned "for the time being" a project to erect an elementary school here.

    In 1967, the remodeled house was purchased from the Virginia Methodist Home for the Aged for $475,000. An elementary school was planned for the site, but the residents of the area voiced opposition to such use due to its "hazardous location for walking students."

    From 1968-73, Thirteen Acres was a special education school; the students were then transferred to Westhampton Special Education Center.

    Thirteen Acres housed the Area II office from 1973-76 and a unit of Community Relations from 1976-78.

    In 1978, the School Board held public hearings on its proposal to establish a residential school for adolescent youth at Thirteen Acres. There was community opposition to such a facility and to the further "institutionalization" of the North Side.

    Since 1980, Thirteen Acres has housed a five-day residential program for emotionally disturbed pupils, ages 6-12.

    Enrollment:
    1991-1992 12

    Head Teachers:
    1968-1970 Wylie A. Campbell, Jr.
    1970-1971 Edith Loving Staples

    Principal:
    1980-1981 Daniel K. Morrisey

    Director:
    1981-1992 Terry Lee Smith (Acting 1981-82)
    1992­ Thomas Larkin