Note: Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.
Valley View School
410 Miller Avenue (North of Shockoe Valley, near the southern terminus of Miller Avenue)
This four-room school was acquired from Henrico County by annexation in 1914, and appears on the records as Barton Heights Colored School.
It was renamed Valley View for its location overlooking Shockoe Valley. Instead of being named for an adjacent street, this school had a street named for it (School Street).
Valley View was closed in February 1933, and the pupils were transferred to other schools.
Barton Heights Colored School