Note: Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.
Walker (Maggie L.) High School/Building
1000 North Lombardy Street (Corner of Lombardy & Leigh Streets)
The 1937-38 annual report includes an aerial photograph of Maggie Walker High School. It was the only Richmond senior high school named for a native Richmonder. In 1981, the School Board adopted a resolution in support of the striking of a commemorative medallion in honor of Maggie L. Walker.
Maggie Walker opened in September 1938, with grades 8-11 and a predominantly vocational curriculum, and was overcrowded from the first session. Walker's objective was to offer students a sound general high school education and, at the same time, practical training for occupations which offered employment opportunities immediately upon completion of high school. A comprehensive curriculum was introduced in 1950. When Graves Junior High School opened in 1952, Walker housed grades 10-12.
A major addition in 1963 increased the building capacity from 900 to 1,400. The library and auditorium were air-conditioned in 1970; alterations, including provisions for the handicapped, were made in 1981.
Under "Plan G" (1979), Marshall-Walker comprised one of three high school complexes with a coordinating principal (Iris Metts). With the dismantling of "Plan G" and the return to a system of comprehensive high schools (1986), Maggie Walker High School was discontinued.
For 41 years, the Armstrong-Walker Football Classic was an annual event on the Saturday after Thanksgiving.
From 1986-90, the Walker Building housed Richmond Community High School and the Humanities Center; Open High School was also located here from 1986-89.
The Walker Building was declared surplus to the City, September 5, 1989, "upon the condition that the said property shall be conveyed by the City of Richmond to Virginia Union University and leased to the School Board for a maximum of two years.
Carneal, Johnston Wright
1963 Addition Carneal & Johnston
1981 Jones & Strange-Boston
$346,500 (Public Works Administration grant)
1963 Addition 837,250
1938-1951 James Edward Segear*
1951-1955 George William Liverpool
1955-1966 James Harry Williams
1966-1967 Arnold R. Henderson, Jr.
1967-1975 Sidney S. Parker (Acting 1967-68)
1975-1978 Fred Adolphus Cooper
1978-1980 Roger Lawrence LaCourse
1980-1981 Lucille Murray Brown (Superintendent 1991-)
1981-1982 Timothy Enfield Woodward
1982-1985 John Charles Lane
1985-1986 Edna P. Rodwell
*Richmond's first colored high school principal.