Note: Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.
Westhampton (Junior High) School/Special education Center
5800 Patterson Avenue (Corner of Patterson & Libbie Avenues)
In 1917, Henrico County erected a building on this site for both elementary and high school grades, replacing a small school on Maple Avenue near Grove Avenue. It was named for the Westhampton community in which it is located. The school was soon overcrowded; in 1930, the county added a second building which was used for high school and the upper elementary grades. Richmond acquired Westhampton School from Henrico County in the annexation of 1942 and built a passageway to connect the two buildings in 1949.
By the conditions of the annexation decree, the school continued with the organization of seven elementary and four high school grades until June 1943. The following September, sophomores, juniors, and seniors were transferred to Thomas Jefferson, and Westhampton became a 5-3 organization (Junior Primarygrade 5 in elementary school and grades 6-8 in junior high school).
In 1972, the Memorial Foundation for Children operated a special education facility for elementary students with learning and behavioral disabilities. In 1973-74, Westhampton was converted into a special education facility for emotionally disturbed students who were relocated from Thirteen Acres School. Adams Comer pupils moved to Westhampton in 1980.
Richmond Community High School has been housed at Westhampton since 1990; in 1991-92, the two programs were under the same administration. The exceptional education students were relocated to Carver and other schools in 1992.
Renovations were made to the general office area in 1985; science labs were provided in 1990.
June 1942 347 (high school) + 604 (elementary)
1943-1944 272 (junior high) + 537 (elementary)
1972-1973 302 (elementary) + 49 (learning center)
1973-1974 111 (special education)
1991-1992 38 (special education)
1985 Justice & Fisher
1990 Worley & Associates
1942 Jan - June Ira O. Beaty
1942-1945 William Hansen Deierhoi
1945-1967 William Roland Galvin
1967-1968 Elmer Hunter Gish
1968-1970 Harold David Gibson
1970-1973 Marshall Lewis Waring (Acting 1970-71)
1973-1980 Gerald Ralph Gendron
1980-1991 Leroy James Randall (Acting 1980-81, Head Teacher 1981-82)
1991 Pamela Trotter-Cornell