• Note: Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.

Whitcomb Court School

  • 2100 Sussex Street (Corner of Whitcomb & Essex Streets)

    This school is named for the federal housing project (Whitcomb Court) which in turn was named for the adjacent street. Whitcomb Court opened in September 1958, with Junior Primary-grade 6. A round building, occupied in January 1962, was designed with eight classrooms, each opening onto the "hub" or multi-purpose, common-use area.

    Whitcomb Court was built on a landfill. In December 1975, following detection of methane gas in the immediate area, the Whitcomb Court program was relocated to Bellevue until the methane problem was corrected prior to the 1977-78 session. An air conditioning project is under way in 1992.

    Under Plan III, Whitcomb Court was paired with Broad Rock.

    Since 1989, Whitcomb Court has operated as a model elementary school with a site-management approach for children at risk; its theme is "building self-esteem through technology, global studies and the arts."

    Enrollment:
    1958-1959 663
    1977-1978 616
    1991-1992 507

    Architect:
    Walford   Wright 
    1961 Kenneth Macllroy

    Contract Cost:
    $420,000
    1961 118,058
    1992 230,513

    Principals:
    1958-1962 Osborne Allen Payne
    1962-1972 Archie Lee Harris
    1972-1985 Calvin Gay
    1985-1991 Alga Bernard Evans
    1991- Lonnie Roy Turnage