Note: Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.
2000 North 28th Street (28th Street between Tate & Newborne Streets)
Woodville was opened in September 1954, for Junior Primary-grade 6, and retained the name of the old school it replaced. Woodville was built primarily to serve children living in the Creighton Court housing project and was immediately crowded.
A four-classroom addition was opened in February 1956. A round building, occupied in January 1962, was designed with eight classrooms, each opening onto the "hub" or multi-purpose, common-use area. A second round building (special education facility) with eight classrooms/library was added in 1967; a 1984 project included cafeteria, kitchen addition, and connecting corridors for the round buildings. An air conditioning project is under way in 1992.
Under Plan III, Woodville was paired with Redd. Woodville operates as a model elementary school with a "performing and visual arts" theme.
1961 Kenneth Macllroy
1967 Budina Freeman
1984 Kenneth Macllroy
1955 Addition 57,519
1954-1959 Fernando Ellis Brown (Acting-1954-55)
1959-1966 Nathaniel Lee
1966-1971 Spingarn DeWitt Brinkley
1971-1973 William Waddell Craighead
1973-1985 Alga Bernard Evans
1985-1989 Leon Danfourth Harding
1989-1991 Jane F. Johnson
1991- Alberta Eggleston Person
Woodville School (old)