Note: Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.
2026 Selden Street (Corner of 21st & Selden Streets)
This school, acquired from Henrico County by annexation in 1942, was named for the Fairfield District community in which it was located.
The earliest school in Woodville was conducted in Mount Tabor Baptist Church until 1883, when Henrico County built a two-room, reddish-brown frame school at the above location. It has been described as a "house with a front porch."
In 1912, the early building was replaced by a two-story, four-room school which was completely destroyed by fire in 1933.
Henrico County then built a four-room stucco school which was used until it was replaced in 1954. A former teacher remembered that water was never satisfactorily obtained from wells that were dug on the school grounds; this made it necessary for the pupils to cross the streets to get a supply of water from the nearest neighbors (who seldom objected). After annexation, the dry privies were demolished as city water connections provided running water and improved sanitation facilities. An electric gong called the pupils, replacing the hand bell used previously.
The building was apparently used for storage after it was replaced by the new Woodville and was declared surplus to the City (April 22, 1960) with the occupancy of the new City warehouse facility at 2907 North Boulevard.
1942-1943 141 (grades 1-7)
1953-1954 129 (JP-grade 6) (final)
1942-1946 Fannie Vaughn
1946-1954 Fernando Ellis Brown