- What did the Board decide about "grandfathering?" The Board voted to provide any rising 5th, 8th, and 12th graders (students who will be in those grades NEXT year) with the option of remaining at their current school regardless of the new zones. (We will soon share the formal process for eligible students/families to exercise this option. Please do not use the Open Enrollment/Specialty School application platform, SmartChoice, to make this selection.)
- If one of my children is “grandfathered-in” at their current school, can my other child/children remain at that school? No. Siblings must attend their zoned school unless they received their current placement through Open Enrollment in a previous year.
- Will transportation be provided for students who are “grandfathered-in” at their current school? As is common practice in Virginia school divisions, transportation will not be provided for students who are “grandfathered-in” at their current school.
- Can I opt to send my child to a school other than the one to which they are assigned under the new zones? Students may attend a school other than their zoned school only by applying through the Open Enrollment or Specialty School Application process.
- Will students with IEPs be “grandfathered-in” at their current schools? Students who have IEPs will not be "grandfathered-in" unless they are entering 5th, 8th, or 12th grade at the start of the 2020-2021 school year.
- Will IEP services for my child change if they are rezoned to a different school? No. Students will receive the services outlined in their IEP regardless of the school they attend.
- How will RPS support the transition of students with IEPs? RPS staff will work with parents to ensure that students have smooth transitions to their new schools, including setting up "Transition Meetings" with the relevant special education teachers, as necessary.
- How is RPS going to build community for students who are going to new schools? We will host a number of open houses and community-building events during the spring and summer to help introduce students/families to their new schools.
- Where can I go if I want to learn more about the rezoning process? Please visit the RPS website at rvaschools.net/rezoning.