Bilingual Office Associate III
Grade Level/Terms of Employment:
Pay Grade 109, 260 days
Richmond Public Schools (RPS) Welcome Center
Coordinator, Welcome Center and Family Advocacy
The RPS Welcome Center is designed to support the division’s non-English speaking families with a wide range of services offered to inform, assist, and connect them to school and community resources. The Bilingual Office Associate III provides direct support to all Welcome Center services such as registration/enrollment, student assessments, Language Support Services, and family and community engagement.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist with registration of students preschool through 12th grade
- Assist the Welcome Center Counselor and Bilingual Parent and Community Liaison with student screening
- Stays in communication with families throughout all components of the registration process
- Supports the Language Support Services administrative operations to ensure proper record keeping and timely requests of translation/interpretation services
- Assist the Welcome Center and Office of Engagement with family and community engagement activities and events
- Serves as liaison between the Welcome Center and schools to support and ensure enrollment of students
- Positively engages with and supports students and families for whom English is not their primary language
- Contributes to team effort by performing other related duties as assigned
- High school education, plus two years of office associate experience.
- Fluency in English and Spanish required.
- Experience with Microsoft Office/Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Internet, Intranet and Email applications preferred.
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends to assist with once a month Saturday registrations, support after-hours school events, and attend community outreach events.
- Demonstrated understanding of and sensitivity to the diverse cultural, ethnic, and socio-economic backgrounds of RPS families.
- Strong communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively in person and by email and phone are required.
- Must be able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others and adapt to changing priorities.
- Ability to work independently and to effectively handle multiple assignments simultaneously.