RVA Future Center Navigator
Grade Level/Terms of Employment:
Grade 117 / 216 Day Contract
RVA Future Center Program Specialist
The Future Center Navigator serves as a direct service provider and catalyst for collaboration, working with school administration, school counselors, and teachers to deliver an integrated set of college, career, and financial aid services to students and parents. The role of the Future Center Navigator is a dynamic one, requiring direct service to students and parents while supporting and complementing the work of school counselors. Future Center Navigators are expected to seek out and share best practices and evaluate their effectiveness and efficiency in serving RPS students, parents, and schools. Future Center Navigators assist in providing direct service to specialty high schools on a rotating basis while being based at specific comprehensive high schools.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages the daily operation of designated Future Center
- Develops and maintains positive working relationships with principals, school counselors, teachers, and other service providers
- Develops and maintains positive working relationships with admissions representatives, pre-collegiate partners, and other service providers
- Delivers college and career access services and programs to all students (grades 9-12)
- Supports the annual update of student Academic and Career Plans
- Performs outreach to feeder middle and elementary schools, including college/career awareness sessions for students, parents, and school staff
- Supports the creation of initial Academic and Career Plans at designated middle schools
- Liaises with Early College Academy (ECA) coaches to support student academic advancement and maintain school to home communication
- Assists 12th grade students with the development of a comprehensive post-secondary plan
- Manages the college search/college fit and match and application process for seniors and their families
- Conducts one-on-one, small group, and classroom advising sessions about college and career opportunities
- Assists students with completion and submission of college, financial aid, and scholarship applications
- Plans and/or coordinates entrance exam preparation courses (SAT, ACT, ASVAB, COMPASS, VPT), personal statement and resume writing workshops, financial aid and scholarship workshops, and college visits.
- Manages career planning for students choosing to enter the workforce following high school
- Plans and/or coordinates on-site or virtual college and career information sessions with local colleges, universities, the military, vocational and trade schools and serve as a liaison with their representatives throughout the year
- Plans and/or coordinates out of school hours services (evening/weekend workshops) for students and families.
- Collaborates with other college and career access programs to coordinate services.
- Plans, coordinates and chaperones in-person and/or virtual college and industry tours for students.
- Manages RVA Future Center and RPS data tracking tools and uploads accurate data to include college application data, job placement and post high school outcomes tracking.
- Drafts and presents reports on student post-secondary choices and outcomes over time
- Participates in and promotes various community events that align with RVA Future’s mission
- Develops, coordinates, and implements financial aid and other workshops for students and parents
- Assists Program Specialist with organizing prospective donor visits to Future Centers, as requested
- Assists with external communications, including press releases and media inquiries, as requested
- Assists with recruiting, training, and coordinating volunteers
- Manages social media platforms for individual centers
- Supervises Future Center volunteer(s) and interns
- Bachelor’s degree; Master’s preferred
- Three years of experience in college access and/or career training, higher education, financial aid or a related field
- Knowledge of college application process, student financial aid, and career readiness
- Experience in providing ongoing academic and career guidance to students
- Bilingual skills to include Spanish preferred
- Excellent communication, organizational and public relations skills
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others and be adaptable to changing priorities.
- Ability to exercise tact, good judgment and demonstrate initiative in the completion of assignments.
- Demonstrated success in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with diverse groups including students, parents, school staff, and community partners, particularly in urban settings
- Strong oral and written communication skills; ability to communicate with sensitivity to students, parents, and community members
- Ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast paced environment
- Ability to work independently, as well as to cooperate as a team player
- Effectively use a variety of technology tools including social media platforms, various software and internet tools.
- Passion for the mission of RVA Future Centers and determination to make the initiative successful